Chargemaster and Telefonica UK join forces for electric vehicle charging
Chargemaster Plc and Telefonica UK, which operates the O2 brand, today announce that they will be working together in the provision of electric vehicle charging services. The agreement initially sees Telefonica providing M2M technology to connect...
London, 17th October 2011.- Chargemaster Plc and Telefonica UK, which operates the O2 brand, today announce that they will be working together in the provision of electric vehicle charging services. The agreement initially sees Telefonica providing M2M (machine-to-machine) technology to connect Chargemaster’s UK-wide network of electric vehicle charging stations.
Launched this week, POLAR is the UK’s largest private sector-funded national charging network and has been developed by Chargemaster in close collaboration with motor manufacturers. Telefonica’s M2M offering will see sim cards embedded into each charging point, communicating back to a central database via the mobile network, ensuring that customers can quickly authorise themselves when using a charging point.
The agreement combines Chargemaster’s experience in electric charging with Telefonica’s mobile expertise, and will also see the two companies collaborate further in the development of services which provide simple and helpful solutions for customers to help stimulate the adoption of electric vehicle charging services. For example, services that allow customers to find their nearest charging point and pay for using it all via their mobile phone.
David Martell CEO of Chargemaster Plc commented, “we are delighted to form this relationship with Telefonica. Chargemaster through its POLAR network is leading the market in the expanding world of low carbon motoring. The two companies’ strengths are complementary and we very much look forward to working with Telefonica.”
Gilli Coston, Head of M2M at Telefonica UK said, “we are committed to bringing products and services to market that help our customers live more sustainable lives. Electric cars represent a huge potential growth area and working with Chargemaster we hope to develop a range of services to help our customers and to boost this fledgling market.”
Telefonica is already a leading global player in the use of M2M technology in the transport sector, particularly in the field of fleet management. Last month, Telefonica and Masternaut agreed to jointly market telematics-enabled fleet management services to business customers.
This agreement between Telefonica and Chargemaster joins a range of environmental initiatives that sit under Telefonica’s O2 Think Big sustainability programme. Through Think Big Telefonica/O2 is committed to developing products and services that help its customers live more sustainable lives. These have ranged from Sim-only tariffs that help encourage customers to hang onto their phones for longer, to the industry’s first eco rating mechanism to show customers the sustainability impact of different mobile phones, and to O2 Recycle which makes it easy for customers to recycle their old handsets.
About Telefonica UK
- Telefónica UK Limited is a leading communications company for consumers and businesses in the UK, with over 22 million mobile customers and over 700,000 fixed broadband customers, as at 30 June 2011.
- Telefónica UK Limited is part of Telefónica Europe plc, a business division of Telefónica S.A. which uses O2 as its commercial brand in the UK, Ireland, Slovakia, Germany and the Czech Republic, and has 57.3 million customers across these markets.
- Telefónica UK employs around 11,000 people in the UK and has 450 retail stores.
- O2 is the naming rights partner of The O2, the world-class entertainment venue.
- In October 2010 O2 was voted the UK’s best mobile network by the readers of both What Mobile and Mobile Choice magazine.
- O2 was ranked highest in customer satisfaction for both UK mobile and fixed broadband customers according to the J.D. Power and Associates UK Mobile and Fixed Broadband Studies 2010.
- O2’s UK 2G mobile network provides voice and data services which are available to 99% of the UK’s population.
- O2’s UK 3G (HSPA+ 900 / 2100 MHz) network currently provides voice and high speed data services of up to 14.4Mbps (21Mbps in the coming months) which are available to over 84% of the UK population.
- O2 was the first UK operator to deploy a 4G/LTE trial network which has demonstrated peak speeds of over 100Mbps to a mobile device.
- Telefónica Europe also owns 50% of Tesco Mobile, which operates in the UK and Ireland, and 50% of Tchibo Mobilfunk in Germany.
About Chargemaster PIc
Chargemaster Plc benefits from over 25 years collaborative experience of working within the telematics and vehicle orientated infrastructure industry. It provides a comprehensive range of electric vehicle charging solutions that have been developed to accommodate new technological advances and the growing demands of the electric vehicle industry.
With flexible and practical charging station solutions, Chargemaster has developed a number of strategic partnerships with energy providers, vehicle manufacturers, government agencies, management consultancies, property development companies and leading blue chip companies. It also works with other data and telematics providers to ensure that its products continually adapt to new requirements within the market.